National Hemp Month.
Did you know every July, we celebrate one of the most amazing and versatile plants - HEMP!
Hemp plants have been around for a long time. They have been mentioned in early Indian scriptures more than 10,000 years ago. However hemp plants have also been mired in controversy and even exiled as they are often mistaken for their intoxicating cousin, Marijuana. Now, legal advancements are changing how people view and access hemp. Also careful breeding and selection have given rise to cultivars exceptionally low in the chemical compounds considered intoxicating. National Hemp Month offers an occasion to rediscover hemp and its usefulness for both people and the environment.
Hemp provides an all-natural, eco-friendly fibre with many applications, ranging from clothing to paper to “hempcrete.” As a crop, it helps clean pollutants from the soil. Hemp is also a rich source of CBD (cannabidiol) which is a naturally occurring substance in the Hemp plant that helps impart a feeling of relaxation and calm. Unlike its cousin, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the major active ingredient in marijuana, CBD is not psychoactive.
Here at Tea People, we are very aware of the amazing benefits Hemp can have, and that is why we choose our award-winning Organic Hemp Tea from the best organic farms in the Netherlands. and also feature it in our relaxing Sleep blend.
Our tea is made from hand-picked dried organic hemp flowers and leaves and harvested when they have the highest quantity of CBD (Cannabidiol) in them. They are grown on organic certified farms in the EU without the use of any chemicals.
Some health benefits of hemp include:
- Initial research shows CBD may be an option for managing anxiety, insomnia, and chronic pain
- Preliminary research shows that hemp tea has anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties which may help in conditions such as arthritis and some heart conditions.
- Hemp is also known to be a bronchodilator, which means it helps widen the airways and vessels in the lungs (called bronchioles), as well as having anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties. Drinking hemp may help alleviate the symptoms of conditions to do with breathing.
We source our Hemp teas from the finest Organic farms in the Netherlands and is certified Organic by Soil Association. We prefer to use Organic hemp as hemp plants are bio-accumulators, which means that it absorbs heavy metals, pesticides and toxins it comes into contact with.
Choosing a certified organic product is the best way to ensure that your tea does not contain dangerous levels of pesticides and heavy metals.
What does it taste like?
Upon brewing, Hemp yields a light coloured liquid which makes a very pleasant cup of tea, mild, slightly sweet, earthy and fragrant.
How to enjoy our Organic Hemp Tea
Steep 1 tsp per cup for 4-6 mins in 95-100° C water. Because CBD is not water soluble but is fat soluble, we recommend you add a dash of fat such as milk, coconut oil or a small piece of butter.
How to enjoy our Sleep Tea
Steep 1 tsp per cup for 4-6 mins in 95-100° C water
In the summer months you may also prefer to prepare a hemp/sleep ice tea. Here's how you can do it:
- Brew hemp tea as explained above without adding the fat. Linden, chamomile flower, mint or Tulsi can also be included in the brew to make a soothing blend.
- Add honey or any other sweetener (if preferred), lemon and plenty of ice.
- Stir and serve. You can also boost the absorption of cannabinoids (which are fat-soluble) by serving a snack, like biscuits, or a meal.