Changing lives one cup at a time...
Tea People was founded to address the issue of educational development within the impoverished areas in and around the impoverished tea growing regions of the world and hence our social commitment lies at the core of our existence. We are a social enterprise and have pledged to put aside at least 50% of our net profits for this cause that we so strongly believe in.
How do we make a difference?
Our overall vision is to empower the local community, especially the girl child by providing them with access to equal opportunities. We believe that education is a great leveller and proper education can go a long way in lifting up not just the individuals but entire communities. We have therefore decided to make an impact by focussing our social efforts in the following areas:
- improve educational infrastructure and facilities in areas most in need.
- build capacity to improve the quality of education in the secondary school sector so that more young people can move into higher education and climb up the social ladder.
- encourage and support individual students, especially girls who are willing to acquire further and higher education but are not able to due to financial constraints.
MSK School, Sonada
MSK School is a small community run school located in the foothills of the Himalayas within the tea growing region of Darjeeling. They cater to the children of tea garden workers and other poor people in the area. Most children studying there come from extremely disadvantaged backgrounds. There are children who are full time carers to their sick or elderly parents and others who have to walk several kilometres everyday just to get to the school.
We came across this school in 2009 when it was in dire need of some urgent repairs, toilets, furniture and teaching aids. They also needed sports equipment, musical instruments, books, etc. The list was endless. Read more....
MSK School, Karmatar
Karmatar is a small village in the district of Darjeeling with a population of around 10,000 people with a few thousand more living in nearby areas. Before 2003, there were no schools to serve this little community and the children had to walk for over three hours in order to reach the nearest school. A lot of them just decided it was not worth it and did not go to school at all, missing out on all the benefits of education.
In 2003, two passionate teachers Namita and Yamuna from the village decided to quit their better paying jobs in a bigger town and start a school in the village with help from the community. Read more...
At Tea People we do not get directly involved in implementing our social projects. We understand our limitations and strenghts and so have decided to focus our own efforts and expertise in bringing the finest teas to the tea lovers of the world and generate enough profits and sponsorships for our projects to go ahead. We therefore work very closely with our sister charity called the NEW LEAF TRUST who are currently the sole recipients of all our charitable proceeds including the 50% share of our annual profits. New Leaf Trust has in turned partnered with local charities and NGOs that have a stellar record and have been vetted by them for the work they do in the local regions. Currently they are working only with the Rotary Club of Darjeeling, but this list will expand as our social impact gains more ground.
How can you help?
In case you would like to help and be a part of this change, we would be very happy to welcome you to our folds. There are several ways you can help. Here are a few:
- Buy tea from our website. Remember that 50% of the profits go straight into our projects.
- Spread the word. The more we sell, the more we can help.
- Donate directly using the donate button below. If you don't want to buy tea or would like to contribute directly to our causes, please feel free to donate any amount.
- Sponsor a child. If you would like to sponsor the cost of living and education of a child for higher and further education, please contact us directly by writing to us at [email protected] and we would be happy to discuss this with you further.
- If you would like to help us in any other way, please feel free to get in touch.